Customers may not realize how much they depend on their garbage disposal until it stops working. Many issues can be avoided by simply adhering to proper operational requirements. That is why the caring staff at Daniels Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning, LLC wants our customers to be well-informed on the correct ways to use your system so potential problems are prevented. Still, some unexpected issues are unavoidable, which is why our professionals are here to provide affordable repair services to resolve situations quickly. In more extreme cases repairing your unit is no longer an option, but not to worry, we also offer reliable installation services, and can help you to choose a highly efficient unit suited to the specific needs of you and your property.
To see what other customers in your area are saying about our unbeatable services, visit our reviews page.
Common Garbage Disposal Problems
Our technicians see many of the same garbage disposal problems again and again. If your disposal isn’t working properly, it’s likely due to one of the following issues:
- Clogged unit
- Dull disposal blades
- Leaking joints
- Fuse or electrical issues
- Loose mounting screws
There are additional issues that may come up, which is why our experienced plumbers will perform a thorough inspection of your unit to determine what has caused it to malfunction. From there we can make an informed decision on whether your problem can be solved by a simple repair or if replacing the garbage disposal is ultimately the better option.
When Should You Repair or Replace Your System?
A malfunctioning garbage disposal can be a major inconvenience and can lead to more serious problems if it is not attended to quickly. If food is still lodged in the unit it will not only create an unpleasant odor in your kitchen, but it can also lead to health related issues if not cleared away. Businesses like restaurants or major hotels that depend on a fully functioning garage disposal will also suffer if the situation is not properly attended to. It is also important to note that you should never attempt garbage disposal repair on your own, as it could lead to dangerous and potentially life-threatening consequences.
It’s always important to work with a reputable company like Daniels Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning, LLC to determine the most cost-effective solution. One would hope that a minor repair will solve the problem, but in some cases replacing your entire unit is the only option. So the decision to choose between garbage disposal replacement or repair should be made by a professional. Our experts will first inspect the system to determine what is wrong. If the problem is minor and it can be fixed inexpensively, then we will quickly attend to your system.
However, you also need to consider the age of your unit. If your system is getting close to 10 years old, it’s usually not wise to pay for repairs if they are worth more than 50 percent of the price of a new unit. If problems become more frequent with an older system, then it is advised that you have the garbage disposal replaced. We offer a number of affordable and highly efficient systems, and provide upfront pricing before work begins so there are no surprises. It is our goal to give all of our valued customers throughout Albuquerque and the surrounding areas the service they need at a price they can afford.
For discounts and savings, visit our coupons page.
What Are Some Simple Garbage Disposal Maintenance Steps?
Our customers often ask us how they can keep their garbage disposals running smoothly and minimize the risk of future issues. You can make a huge difference in the life of your system by being careful about how you use it. Here are some simple garbage disposal maintenance tips that will be beneficial to each and every property owner:
- Dispose of food waste properly: Be careful about what you put down your system. You can eliminate a lot of problems simply by keeping grease, melted fats, and harder food items like corn husks and bones out of your system. If you are unsure as to what items can be put into your unit, consult with our knowledgeable plumbers first.
- Clean your disposal with salt/ice: It’s a good idea to clean your disposal at least once each month with rock salt and ice. Simply put these items into your disposal and let it run for a few seconds.
- Deodorize with natural ingredients: If your disposal doesn’t smell fresh, you can remedy this problem by putting cut lemons or grapefruit into your system with a stream of warm water.
- Stay away from strong chemicals: Commercial drain cleaners, bleach, and other strong chemicals should never be used in your garbage disposal.
- Make sure the unit is off: You should always double-check to make sure your system is turned off. This tip sounds basic, but it’s very important.